Strategic Development Agency (SDA) NGO
START DATE/ TIME: February 2019
DURATION: Long-term, with 3 months of probation period
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: SDA is looking for an Agronomist for the Project "Livestock Development in Armenia: South-North". Under the direct and day-to-day supervision of the Project Manager the Agronomist will be responsible for determining the causes of agricultural/ environmental problems during the Project implementation and providing practical solutions for sustainable use of natural landscapes thus eliminating/ minimizing negative impact on environment in the Northern provinces of Armenia (Tavush, Lori, Shirak and Gegharkunik marzes).
- Provide technical support in delivery and implementation of rural economic development project in the selected Northern provinces of Armenia;
- Implement assessment and evaluation of natural landscapes (pastures, grasslands, arable lands) to identify current state of their use and develop measures for their sustainable and effective use;
- Establish on-farm demonstrations on resource effective practices (climate-smart agricultural practices, use of alternative sources of energy, waste management, safe disposal of medical wastes);
- Develop resource effective measures across dairy and meat supply chains;
- Adjust/ develop management guidelines of dairy and meat processing enterprises and incorporate resource effective measures for the production/ processing;
- Implement environmental mainstreaming in all phases of the Project implementation in accordance with approved environmental decrees and legislation of the Republic of Armenia;
- In close collaboration with other components of the Project, ensure fulfillment of set project objectives and deliverables;
- Build and manage relationships with stakeholders, including local governing bodies, pasture users/ cattle owners, as well as national and local NGOs;
- Ensure adherence to SDA quality standards and integration of best practice as well as adherence to donors and contractual requirements;
- Provide and facilitate technical support, capacity development, training and information provision/ dissemination to Project stakeholders on integrated and effective natural resource management;
- Produce quality program reports (monthly, quarterly and annually) and other required documents and materials (e.g. newsletters, informational leaflets) for SDA and its donors and ensure that those meet stipulated deadlines;
- Perform other job-related duties as required by the Management of the Project and Organization.
- Bachelor's degree in Agronomy/ Environmental Science or in other relevant subjects;
- Substantial and demonstrable experience in integrated natural resources management, development of measures for their effective/ sustainable management;
- Experience of work in rural areas, with farmers, community governing bodies on developing partnerships and collaboration, establishing demonstrations;
- Knowledge of accepted legislation/ decrees on agricultural/ environmental issues in Armenia;
- Proven success in operational management of various activities with a clear focus on results;
- Excellent communication capacity and proactive approach to building relationships with key external/ internal contacts;
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct, precise and digestible form;
- Ability and willingness to travel countrywide (at least 50% of time);
- Ability to rapidly analyze situations, identify problems, risks, opportunities and trends, and to take realistic and balanced decisions accordingly, consulting appropriately;
- Capacity to work sensitively and in a participatory manner with diverse actors;
- Ability to manage complex workload and meet deadlines;
- Fluency in written and spoken Armenian and English languages;
- Computer literacy with practical experience in Microsoft Office applications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: All interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to send their CV together with a motivation cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the position title ("Agronomist") in the subject line of the e-mail. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for the interviews.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 09 January 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 30 January 2019
ABOUT COMPANY: Strategic Development Agency (SDA) NGO is an Armenian development organization implementing numerous operational projects, research and analysis, business and management advice, in cooperation with a number of international organizations such as Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC/ Switzerland), Austrian Development Agency (ADA), German International Cooperation (GIZ), UN Global Environmental Facility (GEF), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, European Union (EU) Delegation to Armenia.
This announcement has been retrieved 277 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.