UNDP Armenia Office
TITLE: National Expert on Mitigation Policies
OPEN TO/ ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: Individual consultants
DURATION: 01 September 2019 - 29 February 2020 ( 50 working days)
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: The overall objective of the consultancy is to analyze mitigation policies, institutional arrangements, coordination of stakeholder engagement and capacity building activities. The specific objective of the consultancy is to overview the mitigation sector specific policies, programs and analytical reports including Armenia's NC/BRs for elaboration of roadmap for development of sector specific mitigation analysis and time bound targets for Armenia's NDC under Paris Agreement.
Under the overall guidance of the Project International Consultant, overall supervision of UNDP CO Climate Change Programme Coordinator and direct supervision of Project Task Leader, the incumbent will be responsible for the following activities:
- Collect, systemize the mitigation sector specific policies, programs and analytical reports for all sub-sectors indicated in Armenia's INDC;
- Develop brief report on main obligations of Armenia under international treaties, agreements (EU, EAEU), bilateral agreements related to the energy sector market, regulations and energy exchange;
- Develop database of on-going major investment projects with significant mitigation impact (with mitigation impacts expected, funding sources timelines);
- Identify key stakeholders to involve into the consultation process and training/ workshops organized by the Project;
- Analyze the international best practices of countries that adopted long-term low greenhouse emissions strategy (LEDS) and developed their concepts of LED strategy for Armenia, including recommendations on gaps, need for additional assessments including socio-economic impacts;
- Based on comments received from key stakeholders, review and finalize the concept paper;
- Provide necessary background information on the indicative cost estimates of measures planned under LEDS concept;
- Participate in the workshops and trainings organized by the Project and make presentations on the respective topics, provide input for materials to be posted on web-site.
Key Outputs/ Deliverables:
- Overview report on mitigation sector policies, programs, and analytical reports (reference links to the sources included) (report in English language);
- Report-database on-going major investment projects (with mitigation impacts expected, funding sources timelines);
- Concept of LEDS strategy for Armenia developed and consulted with key stakeholders (in Armenian and English languages);
- Support provided in identification and consultations with key stakeholders and participation in trainings and workshops.
- Deliverables 1 and 2 - 30% of total amount;
- Deliverable 3 - 50% of total amount;
- Deliverable 4 - 20% of total amount.
- Good understanding of the climate change and environment related policies, legislation and institutional framework in the country;
- Familiarity with national communications and Biennial Reporting processes under the UNFCCC;
- Demonstrated ability of cooperation with stakeholders: government, scientific institutions and international organizations;
- Strong track record with producing high quality research and analytical reports;
- Proven knowledge of communication tools, excellent writing skills;
- Ability to work independently and to participate effectively in a team-based information sharing.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Ability to work individually and as a team member;
- Ability to respond positively to feedback and differing points of view.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (MSc, MA or PhD) in Engineering, Natural Sciences, Economics Environmental Management, or related fields. A relevant university degree in combination with qualifying experience in the area may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise:
- At least 7 years of experience in the area of energy sector policies, socio-economic analysis at the national and/ or international level;
- At least 5 years of experience in the energy sector and/ or climate related development projects;
- Proven practical experience in information gathering methodology and analytical work;
- Familiarity with national communications processes under the UNFCCC;
- A good understanding of the policy, strategy, and institutional framework in the energy sector in Armenia and EU acquis commitments;
- Experience in preparation of analytical assessment reports, participation in national reports development.
- Fluency in Armenian and English languages, both written and oral.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Please follow the link for application procedures: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=86857 .
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 08 August 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 21 August 2019
ABOUT: U4Climate Project helps governments in the six EU Eastern Partner countries - Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine - to take action against climate change. It supports countries in implementing the Paris Climate Agreement and improving climate policies and legislation. Its ambition is to limit climate change impact on citizens lives and make them more resilient to it. EU4Climate is funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The objective of the Project is to support the development and implementation of climate-related policies by the Eastern Partnership countries that contribute to their low emission and climate resilient development and their commitments to the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. It identifies key actions and results in line with the Paris Agreement, the "20 Deliverables for 2020", and the key global policy goals set by the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Project will also translate into action priorities outlined in the Eastern Partnership Ministerial Declaration on Environment and Climate Change of October 2016. The Project will be implemented in 2019-2022. The following results will be achieved: (a) Finalized/ up-dated nationally determined contributions and national mid-century strategies and communicated to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), (b) Improved inter-institutional awareness and coordination at political and technical level of the Paris Agreement and the corresponding national commitments, (c) Established or strengthened measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems, with countries getting on track with Paris Agreement transparency requirements, (d) Establishment of concrete sectoral guidelines for the implementation of the Paris Agreement in each of the Eastern Partners, especially in the field of energy (e) Advanced alignment with EU acquis as provided by bilateral agreements with EU and in the context of the Energy Community Treaty, (f) Increased mobilization of climate finance, and (g) Enhanced adaptation planning.
This announcement has been retrieved 739 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.