|UWC Dilijan College|
TITLE: Chief Operations Officer
LOCATION: Dilijan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Chief Operations Officer is a key member of the College Leadership Team of UWC Dilijan with responsibility for finance, administration and operations. As such, he/ she must share the vision and ethos of the school and strive at all times to ensure that everyone working for the school in any financial or operational capacity maintains the values of the school in all dealings with other staff, students, members of the public, and the wider community in Dilijan and Armenia. While at present the job is focused on UWC Dilijan, as the College continues to develop this role may involve connected initiatives such as the Dilijan Educational Cluster. The incumbent will explore new opportunities for partnerships and commercial opportunities to create new sources of revenue for the College. The Chief Operations Officer reports to the Head of College.
- Responsible for finance, administration, operations, legal and IT services, including financial and operational planning, budgeting, reporting, performance monitoring and risk management;
- As a member of the CLT involved in managerial decisions relating to the school, be the principal source of information for the Head of College and CLT about the statutory, regulatory, financial and operational requirements of the school;
- Ensure statutory compliance, manage books, records and the accounting, legal, IT and operational staff of the school, including such operations as may from time to time be outsourced, and ensure the operational efficiency and safety of all activities on the campus;
- Responsible for preparation of reports and accounts in accordance with such standards as shall be prescribed by the Board of Governors and the prevailing regulations in Armenia.
Finance and Accounting
- Advise the Head of College and the CLT on all financial matters, including drawing attention to changes in legislation that may materially affect the running of the school;
- Supervise the Chief Accountant's day-to-day activities;
- Manage the financial systems of the school to ensure the integrity of financial data and reporting as well as adherence to best financial practices in accordance with the accounting standards as required;
- Fully utilize the accounting system for monthly closing and financial reporting on a timely basis in accordance with the laws of Armenia ensuring that budget holders have updated information;
- Participate in the evaluation of financial need for scholarship students and keep proper records of all such scholarships to maintain budgetary integrity;
- Work closely with the Head of College to facilitate the budgeting process for the school, ensuring input from all interested parties;
- Track financial performance against budget and provide variance and trend analysis, along with other management reports, including management accounts, as per the reporting schedule required by the Head of College and the Board of Governors;
- Provide leadership in developing benchmarks, both from internal and external sources, for management and evaluation purposes;
- Create, maintain and utilize the fixed assets register and provide the necessary support and analysis for capital expenditure and depreciation;
- Manage fee collection and bill payment functions to optimize cash flow and working capital;
- With the Chief Accountant, set up and manage payroll systems and ensure that terms are reviewed and implemented as per contracts; ensure all statutory and regulatory compliances are met, especially over tax remittances;
- Implement internal controls to comply with both internal and external audit requirements;
- Actively investigate the fees of comparable and competitor schools nationally and internationally and advise the Head of College and through him/ her the Board of Governors of the appropriate and necessary fee structure and scholarship provision;
- Carry out a regular review of insurable risks and maintain adequate insurance coverage;
- Identify and set up processes to obtain and manage fiscal exemptions in accordance with the statutory provisions approved by the government of Armenia;
- Ensure the safekeeping of contractual and other legal documents and records, including historic financial and other documents needed for internal and external audit as required by prevailing regulations;
- Liaise with the UWC International Office and be part of different groups and task-forces as needed;
- Operate the departments reporting to him/ her as part of Dilijan International School of Armenia (UWC Dilijan), which is part of the larger network of the RVVZ Foundation; maintain professional and collaborative working relationships with other members of the school and the RVVZ, to establish reliable and consistent internal audit procedures and to comply with all audit requirements.
Operations and IT
- Work with the Facilities Manager to negotiate terms and conditions of all contracts, follow up and report to the Head of College on procurement of goods and services;
- Give general guidance to the Facilities Manager, set up and put in place processes for the following:
a) Ensuring that the catering on campus is fit for purpose with good dietary and financial value;
b) Ensuring that security on campus is of the highest quality to ensure the safety of all personnel and property;
c) Establishing and maintaining housekeeping, landscaping and maintenance functions sufficient to the efficient operation of the school and to an appropriate high standard;
d) Ensuring that transport facilities are fit for purpose, including the maintenance and safety of all vehicles, the qualifications of all drivers, and the timing and provision of such transport as shall from time to time be needed for expeditions and the conveyance of students and staff;
- Advise the Head of College of any operational matters that may give rise to significant or unbudgeted expenditure at the earliest possible opportunity;
- Give general guidance to the IT Manager, set up and put in place processes for the following:
a) Ensuring that IT security is ensured and maintained at the appropriate standard;
b) Ensuring that all users have access to IT equipment, infrastructure and software that meet their needs.
- Actively engage with the other CLT members in developing policies and procedures for the reporting departments;
- Under the direction of the Head of College and in consultation with other relevant members of the school, contribute to the development and implementation of plans and processes that are important to the goals of the school and which are consistent with the guidance provided by the Head of College;
- Ensure that the document flow is put in place and maintained appropriately;
- Ensure that the college complies with its own Charter, applicable legislation, internal policies and procedures, including international standards for authorization (International Baccalaureate) and accreditation (Council of International Schools);
- Make business continuity and contingency plans to limit risks and ensure preparedness for foreseeable crisis.
- At least 10 years of experience in operations, finance and administrative management, preferably in an international setting;
- Strong management and leadership skills, including the ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Proficiency in English, Armenian and/ or Russian languages;
- Ability to work with partners across the RVVZ ecosystem, the UWC movement and IB schools worldwide;
- Understanding of and sympathy with residential education;
- ACCA, CFA qualifications will be an advantage;
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Being an intentionally diverse community, UWC Dilijan college welcomes applications from qualified candidates from all cultural and educational backgrounds. All applications have to be submitted electronically via: firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline. Please specify the title of job ("Chief Operations Officer") in the subject line of the email. All attached documentation should be sent as a single PDF file of less than 4 MB.
Keeping children safe is everyone's responsibility at UWCD. In keeping with the mission and values of the UWC movement, UWCD believes that every child and young person, regardless of age, has at all times and in all situations a right to feel safe and protected. UWCD is committed to safeguarding processes which include:
- Protecting students from abuse and neglect;
- Preventing risk of harm to children's health or development; and
- Ensuring children grow up with the provision of safe and supportive care.
An application for a position implies explicit consent to undergo thorough background checks and screening. Successful candidates will be subject to background checks, including reference requests from previous employees as well as a security check.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 18 September 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11 October 2019
ABOUT COMPANY: One of the 18 United World Colleges, UWC Dilijan is an intentionally diverse international boarding school in Armenia. It first opened its doors in August 2014 and now has 228 students (16 to 18-year-old) from 88 countries studying the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma.
This announcement has been retrieved 1856 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.