|The UNHCR Representation in Armenia|
TITLE: Assistant External Relations Officer NOA
OPEN TO/ ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: Candidates must be Armenian nationals. An individual whose father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister is a staff member of UNHCR, including a Temporary Appointment holder or a member of the Affiliate Workforce, is not eligible to apply.
START DATE/ TIME: 01 January 2020
DURATION: Fixed-term appointment of 1 year with a possible extension
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Assistant External Relations Officer is directly supervised by the Representative. He/ she heads the External Relations unit and will directly supervise two national staff responsible for reporting and public information activities.
The incumbent will also:
- Support the Representative with Inter-Agency (IA) engagement related to UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) and local coordination of the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) to promote inclusion of refugees by effective partnerships with government line ministries, development actors, private sector, UN agencies, international organisations and NGOs, research institutions and universities;
- Establish, maintain and strengthen partnerships with a range of actors (including governmental and non-governmental counterparts, national/ local authorities, institutions, civil society, UN Country Team, etc.) to promote solutions for displacement and statelessness and ensure coordination and information exchange;
- Assist in promoting GCR, UNHCR's policies and linkages within multilateral processes as per the UNSDCF with humanitarian and development partners;
- Support dialogue with donors and embassies at the country level and ensure that UNHCR's approach to partnership and IA processes are consistent, strategic and coherent;
- Engage with sectors and IA coordination activities, make recommendations on IA issues, liaising with external partners and local organizations on behalf of UNHCR under the guidance of the Representative.
The incumbent is required to have strong analytical skills, knowledge about the country, the political and socio-economic development context and in particular the current country transformation agenda. He/ she is expected to keep abreast of these issues and provide regular updates to the Representative. In addition to essential minimum qualifications/ experience listed, the candidate should have:
- Proven ability to develop and maintain partnerships with a variety of actors, including government and private sector;
- Proven experience in planning, implementing, and monitoring programmes/ projects;
- Strong advocacy and negotiation skills in situation involving multiple actors and diverse interests;
- Knowledge of UNHCR's mandate.
The following types of experience is an asset:
- Working with development agencies/ national governments/ civil society on development planning;
- Working on forced displacement issues, including with host communities;
- Experience in resource mobilization.
- Assist Senior Management in dealing with the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations;
- Assist in planning and organizing communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR's operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, the media, academia and persons of concern);
- Assist in the dialogue with donors and embassies and provide accurate information by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings and missions;
- Assist Senior Management in disseminating information on UNHCR's global funding situation and mobilize additional funds to implement special projects aimed at enhancing the quality of protection for persons of concern;
- Participate when requested in the inter-agency cooperation and communication strategies, initiatives and tools;
- Assist in the management of information flows within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analysing and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities;
- Assist in the drafting of situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases and articles;
- Assist in planning and organizing advertisements, exhibitions, training seminars, conferences, meetings, social events and other activities to promote a better understanding of UNHCR's activities and accomplishments by the general public and/ or organized groups;
- Support the management of media relations by, inter alia, drafting responses to direct queries, draft press releases and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations;
- Organize press briefings for external parties as required;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- UNHCR's media relations and advocacy work in geographic and thematic area are supported;
- UNHCR's standing with its counterparts is maintained.
- Organize the distribution of UNHCR publications and the provision of materials to various institutions and individuals;
- Produce reports for donor agencies as required.
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Journalism, Communication or other related fields plus at least 1 year of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master's) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted;
- Computer and IT skills (MS Office, website preparation, etc.);
- Highly developed drafting ability in working language of duty station;
- Excellent knowledge of local institution, politics and culture;
- Knowledge of English language and UN working language of the duty station if not English;
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position;
- Knowledge of additional UN languages;
- For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Analytical thinking;
- Innovation and creativity;
- Political awareness.
REMUNERATION/ SALARY: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your letter of motivation, updated factsheet (for internal applicants), signed Personal History Form (for external applicants) by e-mail clearly stating the position title, VN/02/2019 and your Last Name in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet is attached. Only complete applications/ documentation in English language will be considered. No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and oral interview.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 01 October 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15 October 2019 (inclusive)
ABOUT COMPANY: The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a humanitarian and non-political organization mandated by the United Nations to protect refugees and help them find lasting solutions to their problems. UNHCR's activities are based on a framework of international refugee and statelessness law and standards that includes the 1951 United Nations Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol, 1954 and 1961 Statelessness Conventions, as well as an array of international and regional treaties on human rights and humanitarian law. The mandate of UNHCR is the international protection of refugees and stateless persons. The provision of international protection by UNHCR implies ensuring the basic human rights of refugees and stateless persons. UNHCR has presence in the Republic of Armenia since 1992, under a Co-operation Agreement signed with the Government. UNHCR's work in Armenia presently concentrates on capacity-building activities geared towards strengthening national authorities, laws and policies to ensure the proper handling of refugee and statelessness issues, the reception and care of refugees, the promotion of self-reliance of refugees and the realization of durable solutions. These are carried out in combination with other activities such as advocacy, information dissemination and monitoring.
ADDITIONAL NOTES: UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
This announcement has been retrieved 1664 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.