|The UNHCR Representation in Armenia|
TITLE: Assistant Programme Officer NOA
OPEN TO/ ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: Candidates must be Armenian nationals. An individual whose father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister is a staff member of UNHCR, including a Temporary Appointment holder or a member of the Affiliate Workforce, is not eligible to apply.
START DATE/ TIME: 01 January 2020
DURATION: Fixed-term appointment of 1 year with a possible extension
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Assistant Programme Officer is directly supervised by the Representative. He/ she may also receive indirect guidance that is relevant to the country programme(s), from units within the operation, staff with regional functions in the Regional Bureau for Europe. He/ she heads the Programme unit and will directly supervise two national staff responsible for programme support activities and if required, affiliated workforce and consultants. The incumbent is required to have strong analytical skills along with a solid knowledge about country political and socio-economic development context that is complemented by proven knowledge and practical experience in the area of a programme management.
The incumbent will also:
- Support the Representative with Inter-Agency (IA) engagement related to UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) and local coordination of the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) to promote inclusion and mainstreaming of refugees into national development plans and social protection mechanisms;
- Assist the Representative in advocating for transition from humanitarian to development and concomitant funding including support search for new actors ready to engage and invest in support of durable solutions for refugees;
- Work closely with the Protection Unit to ensure effective allocation of financial resources to key protection priorities including close coordination on development, implementation of national socio-economic integration and livelihoods strategies.
In addition to essential minimum qualifications/ experience listed, the candidate should have:
- Proven ability to develop and maintain implementing and operational partnerships with a variety of actors such as traditional and non-traditional donors, including government and private sector;
- Proven experience in planning, implementing, and monitoring programmes/ projects along with practical skills on prioritization within limited resources;
- Strong advocacy and negotiation skills in situation involving multiple actors and diverse interests;
- Knowledge of UNHCR's mandate and awareness of, areas of work of UN sister agencies, NGOs and other humanitarian and development actors.
The following types of experience will be considered as an asset:
- Working with development agencies/ national governments/ civil society on development planning of joint programmes/ projects;
- Working on forced displacement issues, including with host communities;
- Experience in resource mobilisation.
- Support in assessing and analysing the needs of persons of concern in a participatory manner, using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective as basis for planning;
- Provide support on programmatic aspects of developing multi-year protection and solutions strategies and annual plans with corresponding priorities taking into account corporate priorities;
- Support Results Based Management and programme capacity in light of evolving requirements, programming approaches and gaps;
- Assist the planning process in compliance with planning parameters outlined in the Programme Manual and the planning instructions;
- Contribute to the review and analyse of plans, mid-year and year-end reports of UNHCR offices in the region, ensuring quality assurance and compliance with established policies, guidelines, procedures and standards;
- Assist with the provision of overall direction to broaden partnerships with key stakeholders in order to maximize the protection and solutions response for persons of concern;
- Contribute to the successful application of the framework for implementing with partners, including the effective implementation of the policy on selection and retention of partners, management of partnership agreements, risk-based project performance monitoring, and risk-based project audits, among others;
- Contribute to ensure consistent and coherent monitoring approaches, tools and systems within the Area of Responsibility (AoR), in line with global standards and polices;
- Actively contribute to UNHCRs programming of community of practice and continuously contribute to improvements of programming tools and processes;
- Identify potential gaps and problems and in cooperation with other relevant sections recommend appropriate solutions to ensure the efficient implementation of programme activities;
- Assist in a timely and effective follow-up of internal and external audits observations and recommendations that relate to programmatic issues;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- 1 year of relevant experience with Undergraduate degree preferably in Economics, Business Administration, Social Sciences or other relevant field; or no experience with Graduate or with Doctorate degree;
- Field(s) of education: Economics, Business Administration, Social Sciences or other relevant field;
- Demonstrated experience in programme management including familiarization with the OMC and sound knowledge Results Based-Management. Demonstrated experience in field operations, sound knowledge on the centrality of protection in programming, Joint Needs Assessments and the principles of targeting;
- Knowledge of English language and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
- Demonstrated experience in coordination within an inter-agency context and other actors, in a refugee or humanitarian context. Sound experience in program management training and capacity building activities.
- PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards);
- PG-Results-Based Management;
- PG-UNHCR's Programmes;
- PG-Experience with coordinating with Implementing Partners (Governmt/INGO/NGO/Corporate).
- Organizational awareness;
- Teamwork and collaboration;
- Commitment to continuous learning;
- Client and result orientation.
- Empowering and building trust;
- Judgement and decision making;
- Managing performance.
- Analytical thinking;
- Change capability and adaptability;
- Negotiation and conflict resolution.
REMUNERATION/ SALARY: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your letter of motivation, updated factsheet (for internal applicants), signed Personal History Form (for external applicants) by e-mail clearly stating the position title, VN/01/2019 and your Last Name in the subject line to: email@example.com by the closing date. The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet is attached. Only complete applications/ documentation in English language will be considered. No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and oral interview.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 01 October 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15 October 2019 (inclusive)
ABOUT COMPANY: The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a humanitarian and non-political organization mandated by the United Nations to protect refugees and help them find lasting solutions to their problems. UNHCR's activities are based on a framework of international refugee and statelessness law and standards that includes the 1951 United Nations Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol, 1954 and 1961 Statelessness Conventions, as well as an array of international and regional treaties on human rights and humanitarian law. The mandate of UNHCR is the international protection of refugees and stateless persons. The provision of international protection by UNHCR implies ensuring the basic human rights of refugees and stateless persons. UNHCR has presence in the Republic of Armenia since 1992, under a Co-operation Agreement signed with the Government. UNHCR's work in Armenia presently concentrates on capacity-building activities geared towards strengthening national authorities, laws and policies to ensure the proper handling of refugee and statelessness issues, the reception and care of refugees, the promotion of self-reliance of refugees and the realization of durable solutions. These are carried out in combination with other activities such as advocacy, information dissemination and monitoring. The internship shall give an opportunity to familiarize the intern with all of UNHCR protection activities with a focus on statelessness.
ADDITIONAL NOTES: UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
This announcement has been retrieved 1554 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.