TITLE: Communications Specialist
DURATION: 6 months, with a possibility of extension
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: The My Armenia Program funded by USAID and implemented by the Smithsonian Institution in partnership with Solimar International, is searching for a Communications Specialist who will focus on communications and outreach initiatives for the My Armenia Program, as well as serve as the main liaison with USAID, local government bodies, and other key counterparts as guided by COP.
- Develop and disseminate information materials about the My Armenia Program as well as Smithsonian Institution's work in Armenia;
- Curate and maintain social media and other communication channels owned or managed by the program; to include Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram;
- Create and post relevant content on the Program social accounts as approved by the COP;
- Edit and proofread all program outreach;
- Work with printing houses to make sure that the print-ready materials are all in strict compliance with the Smithsonian and USAID marking and branding guidelines;
- Ensure all communications are compliant with the My Armenia Communications and branding manual, including USAID requirements;
- Travel throughout the regions of Armenia, identify and interview key cultural stakeholders, to develop story ideas;
- Curate and maintain a relationship with local media and act as program PR liaison for Yerevan based media outlets (both print and digital press);
- Prepare press releases and media advisories in advance of project events and disseminate approved press releases to media contacts etc. to media contacts – direct follow-up contact with media to ensure publication of press releases. Develop media monitoring reports following press events;
- Monitor Armenian media, particularly for any information related to tourism and culture sectors;
- Maintain a thorough and constantly up to date contact list of all media, stakeholders, and community members;
- Perform additional job-related duties as assigned by COP.
- Maintain open and effective communication with project team in Yerevan and Washington, D.C.;
- Ensure close collaboration with other team members working on other aspects of the My Armenia Program;
- Responsible for detailed annual and short-term work-plan development to guide activities;
- Responsible for regular reporting on progress, activities and results of activities;
- Perform other job-related duties assigned by My Armenia Chief of Party.
- At least a bachelor's degree in Arts or Journalism/ Communications is preferred or equivalent work experience;
- At least 5 years of experience in communications/ PR sector;
- Excellent written and verbal English and Armenian language skills;
- Proven creative writing skills;
- Knowledge of special software, such as Photoshop, In-design;
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms to include Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube;
- Understanding of unique cultural history and heritage throughout regions in Armenia;
- Ability to work independently with only periodic guidance to achieve assigned responsibilities based on work-plans;
- Strong, demonstrated project management skills and experience working with diverse team members and other organizations;
- Ability to work within a creative team with team members in the office and in remote locations.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested candidates are welcome to send their CV to: SmithsonianHR@gmail.com by the deadline. Please mention the position title ("Communications Specialist") in the subject line of the email.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 04 October 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 19 October 2019
ABOUT: My Armenia Program is a collaborative initiative of the people of Armenia, USAID, and the Smithsonian Institution, which harnesses the power of research, documentation, and storytelling to sustain Armenian cultural heritage. Building on Smithsonian expertise in research and curation, the My Armenia program engages with local partners in community-based research to document Armenian cultural heritage and support tourism in the country that sustainably promote the cultural and natural heritage of the country. Working with sustainable tourism experts from Solimar International, the My Armenia program will increase and share knowledge about Armenian cultural heritage while identifying opportunities to enhance and increase community-based tourism to rural Armenia. The overall objectives of the program include:
Objective 1: Improve the tourism product offering of Armenia;
Objective 2: Improve Service delivery along strategic tourism corridors and circuits in Armenia;
Objective 3: Improve cultural tourism sector workforce skills;
Objective 4: Coordinate GOAM, donor, resource partner and stakeholder involvement.
This announcement has been retrieved 839 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.