TITLE: Tourism Product Development Specialist
START DATE/ TIME: ASAP
LOCATION: Yerevan, Armenia
JOB DESCRIPTION: The My Armenia Program funded by USAID and implemented by the Smithsonian Institution in partnership with Solimar International, is searching for a Tourism Product Development Specialist to mentor tourism products that are supported by the My Armenia Program from the initial concept through to the point where they are successful tourism products with a sustainable level of visitation. Tourism Products may include outdoor activities (hiking, biking, horse riding, etc.), food and wine, museums, artisan, cultural activities, or other tourism experiences.
- Conduct tourism asset mapping in regions of Armenia to identify and document potential tourism opportunities that the project may work with;
- Work with the My Armenia research team to guide and identify potential tourism opportunities that will come out of ethnographic, historical, natural and other research being conducted in the regions;
- Develop written concepts for potential tourism opportunities that My Armenia may support, including descriptions of the potential tourism experience, who is involved, how it will operate and be managed, etc. as well as the potential markets for the tourism product;
- Collaborate with tour operators and other tourism stakeholders in providing inputs on potential tourism products;
- Coordinate organization and provision of tourism operations and business planning trainings to tourism products that are supported by My Armenia;
- Provide ongoing technical advice and mentorship to support to owners, managers and employees of the tourism products to help develop and improve the tourism product throughout the process;
- Support the Enterprise Development Specialist of My Armenia Program in latter's work in helping the tourism products apply for grants or loans to support the development of their tourism products (e.g. support with grant/ loan applications);
- With the support of a Content Writer and research team, identify and develop the scripts and narratives that accompany each tourism product (i.e. unique stories, cultural activities, histories, natural characteristics, etc. of the places where the tourism product operates);
- Identify site guides that will guide visitors as part of the tourism product and with the support of technical specialists, manage the provision of guide training for these guides;
- Where applicable identify needs for specialty trainings or other technical services to help develop the tourism products and manage the facilitation of these services to support the tourism products;
- Work with team members to test and refine the tourism products when they are ready for visitors;
- Where applicable support the Marketing Specialist and other team members to introduce the tourism products to the market (tour operators, media, etc.) and stimulate visitation to the tourism products, including organizing FAM trips to the tourism products once ready;
- Support and collaborate with the marketing team for the development on marketing and promotional materials. Follow up with tourism products once launched to provide continuing mentorship.
- Maintain open and effective communication with project team in Yerevan and Washington, D.C.;
- Ensure close collaboration with other team members working on other aspects of the My Armenia Program;
- Responsible for detailed annual and short-term work-plan development to guide activities;
- Responsible for regular reporting on progress, activities and results of activities;
- Perform other job-related duties assigned by My Armenia Chief of Party.
- At least a bachelor's degree in Tourism, Business or a social science related to tourism industry;
- At least 5 years of experience in the tourism sector working on tourism product development, tour development and/ or tour management;
- Guiding skills and experience in guiding is a plus;
- Experience working with cultural heritage tourism related businesses;
- Experience with business planning, management and operations of tourism businesses is a plus;
- Ability to work independently with only periodic guidance to achieve assigned responsibilities based on work-plans;
- Excellent written and verbal English and Armenian language skills;
- Strong, demonstrated project management skills and experience working with diverse team members and other organizations;
- Ability to work within a creative team with team members in the office and in remote locations;
- Ability to travel for 25-40% of the time in rural areas of Armenia to conduct product development work.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Applicants are welcome to send their CVs to: SmithsonianHR@gmail.com by the deadline. Please mention the position title ("Tourism Product Development Specialist") in the subject line of the email.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPENING DATE: 04 October 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 19 October 2019
ABOUT: My Armenia Program is a collaborative initiative of the people of Armenia, USAID, and the Smithsonian Institution, which harnesses the power of research, documentation, and storytelling to sustain Armenian cultural heritage. Building on Smithsonian expertise in research and curation, the My Armenia program engages with local partners in community-based research to document Armenian cultural heritage and support tourism in the country that sustainably promote the cultural and natural heritage of the country. Working with sustainable tourism experts from Solimar International, the My Armenia program will increase and share knowledge about Armenian cultural heritage while identifying opportunities to enhance and increase community-based tourism to rural Armenia. The overall objectives of the program include:
Objective 1: Improve the tourism product offering of Armenia;
Objective 2: Improve Service delivery along strategic tourism corridors and circuits in Armenia;
Objective 3: Improve cultural tourism sector workforce skills;
Objective 4: Coordinate GOAM, donor, resource partner and stakeholder involvement.
This announcement has been retrieved 716 times.
To place a free posting for job or other career-related opportunities available in your organization, just go to the www.careercenter.am website and follow the "Post an Announcement" link.