The Role: Teach For Armenia seeks a Head of Civic Education for an anticipated USAID Armenia Civics for Education project. The project will support youth civic education to boost the role of youth in building a democratic culture and developing an informed citizenry. In alignment with Teach For Armenia’s Community Impact Philosophy, the project will aim to cultivate student leaders who can advocate for civic responsibility, local ingenuity, and global connectivity. This position is contingent on funding. The Head of Civic Education will be responsible for Objective #1, which prioritizes “Youth Civic Skills and Sense of Agency through Formal Education Improved” with the following focus areas:
a) Civic education is integrated into the school curriculum;
b) Extracurricular activities and service-learning to complement formal education institutionalized.
The Team: The Head of Civic Education will report to the Managing Head of Civic Education and will work in tandem with the Head of Youth Civic Engagement. The Head of Civic Education will be responsible for working in partnership with the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport as well as regional governments and school leaders in order to integrate civic engagement into formal education.
For this role, the key responsibilities will include:
Stakeholder Management (20%)
- Develop and oversee partnerships with appropriate national and local stakeholders, including government, private sector, and civil society actors.
Team and Project Management (30%)
- Provide technical and strategic leadership to the project and team, applying good management techniques that establish a positive culture and bring a participatory ethos to the work;
- Oversee project staff and overall strategies related to project budgeting and financial management; monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL).
Program Development and Implementation (25%)
- Leverage Teach For Armenia’s Kochari and Community Impact Philosophy in order to design a robust student leadership program in alignment with USAID’s priorities;
- Provide technical oversight of the program, including incorporating best practices for youth development approaches in coordination with other technical staff;
- Keep track of innovations within the field of youth engagement and development programming and apply innovations to project implementation.
- Oversee the delivery of project deliverables, including annual work plans, reports, and strategy documents; ensure deliverables are submitted on time and are implemented within budget.
- Take on additional responsibilities as needed in order to successfully meet the intended outcomes of the program.
Note: Teach For Armenia is a growing nonprofit working within a dynamic system. Its team must be agile as they grow in scale. Teach For Armenia is looking for leaders who are resilient and adaptive. That is to say that responsibilities may shift over time.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; advanced degree is highly preferred;
- At least 7 years of demonstrated experience managing development activities related to civic education;
- Knowledge of the political, social, cultural, environmental, and development context of Armenia preferred;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in Armenian and English languages.
For this role specifically, Teach For Armenia is also looking for a candidate who possesses the following key competencies:
- Youth Civic Engagement: Given the scope of the project, TFA is looking for a leader who has a deep understanding of how to lead programs that promote student leadership and civic engagement, specifically through formal education;
- Stakeholder Management: The Head of Civic Education will specifically be responsible for partnering with the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture, and Sport in order to incorporate civic engagement into formal education. For that reason, TFA is looking for a leader who can partner effectively with government and non-government stakeholders;
- Team Management: The Head of Civic Education will be responsible for team management and performance. As such, it is important that the Head of Civic Education come to the project with a track record of success in this competency area;
- Project Management: This project will be a multi-year program with many moving parts. The Head of Civic Education must be able to support the team with mapping out priorities in order to meet benchmarks in a timely fashion;
- Monitoring and Reporting: The Head of Civic Education will be responsible for ensuring that the team gathers, analyzes, and reports on impact according to USAID’s specific requirements. We are looking for a leader who has this experience.
Interested candidates are welcome to submit their résumé and cover letter through the official job posting: https://teachforarmenia.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=80
. In your cover letter, please make sure to explain what personally compels you to our mission and the role. If you have been referred to this role by a current Teach For Armenia staff member, please also indicate who referred you in your cover letter. In your application, please also specify your salary expectations (in the gross amount). Also, if your résumé is in Armenian language, please provide an English translation.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
Teach For Armenia may be the place for those who believe it is important to foster a values-driven workplace that is centered on leadership. TFA team must be composed of culture-builders who exemplify the type of leadership they are striving to cultivate in their classrooms and across the system. This means each staff member must strive to exemplify the Kochari, hold themselves to the highest of standards while owning up to mistakes when they themselves falter.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity:
Teach For Armenia is an organization that strives to elevate the voices of its students and their communities. As such, it is an organization that is committed to equity, and it strives to build an inclusive environment. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link to read about Teach For Armenia’s approach to civic education and positive youth development: https://www.teachforarmenia.org/news-page/pyd
and Teach For Armenia’s Community Impact Philosophy: https://www.teachforarmenia.org/kochari