Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) are jointly implementing "Local Empowerment of Actors for Development (LEAD) in Lori and Tavush Regions" Project in Armenia. The Project is supported by the European Union (EU) and aims at bolstering the participation of a wide range of local stakeholders in sustainable and inclusive socioeconomic development of their communities through pilot implementation of the EU LEADER/ Community-Led Local Development (CLLD) approaches in Lori and Tavush regions.
The National Agriculture Economist will operate under the overall supervision of the Regional Programme Leader/ FAO Representative in Armenia and supervision of Programme/ Operations Officer and the Budget Holder (BH), the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) of the project and the direct supervision of the National Project Manager, as well as in close cooperation with national and international consultants of the Project.
The incumbent will undertake the following duties in support of the Project’s team during the development of five Local Development Strategies for the delineated territories of Local Action Groups (LAGs) in Lori and Tavush, emphasising the feasibility of the specific agricultural development directions and projects:
- Review and analyse the current economic state and structure of agriculture sector in the five LAG territories through the fact finding visits to LAG territories, key informant interviews, desk research or other relevant methods;
- Assess the economic feasibility for family farms and other local producers to be involved in the production of the selected primary agricultural products, which were identified as suitable for the given territories based on their agro-climatic needs and social impact; if relevant, assess the economic feasibility of food processing and provision of agriculture related services in the five LAG territories;
- In collaboration with the FAO national and international consultants involved in the project and in consultation with the members of the LAGs, provide input and recommendations to the "Baseline assessment of the agriculture sector in the five LAG territories" report related to the development of the prospective directions for primary agricultural production, services and food processing sectors within the five LAG territories;
- In collaboration with the FAO national and international consultants, provide input to the agricultural component of five Local Development Strategies for the LAG territories;
- Provide technical support to the members of the LAGs for development of economically justified agricultural project proposals;
- In cooperation with the National Consultant on Agribusiness, organize capacity building sessions for the members of the LAGs on business planning, cost-benefit analysis, financial management, grant applications, etc.;
- Participate and promote knowledge sharing and best practices at meetings and conferences, and when needed interact with international and national partners;
- Contribute to project progress reports related to the activities performed; identify lessons learned, constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions and present recommendations;
- Prepare mission reports after each mission;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- University degree in Agriculture, Economics or a closely related field;
- 3 years of relevant experience and strong analytics, research skills;
- Working knowledge of Armenian and English languages; knowledge of Russian language is an asset;
- National of Armenia or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
Interested candidates are welcome to follow the link and complete the application online: https://tinyurl.com/mpfeaeay
. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile. If you need help, or have queries, please contact the Company at: Careers@fao.org
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.