The Near East Foundation (NEF) is seeking a candidate for the position of Technical Specialist for Inclusion and Empowerment. The Technical Specialist for Inclusion and Empowerment is a key member of the Near East Foundation team in Yerevan, Armenia. This position will provide technical leadership for the 42-month STRIVE for a better future: communities and civil society resilience in Armenia programme. STRIVE aims to improve the resilience, sustainability, accountability, and capacity for innovation of Armenian civil society organisations (CSOs), enabling them to play a pivotal role in raising awareness, deepening democracy, and serving constituencies in Armenia, especially vulnerable populations.
The Technical Specialist for Inclusion and Empowerment is responsible for providing technical supervision and implementation of the project’s Inclusion and Development activities, including civic innovation journeys; CSO emergency response initiatives; professionalisation of civil society volunteering; promotion of volunteering and active citizenship; leadership skills training for youth, volunteers, and active citizens; and media literacy education.
Reports to: Project Director
Travel: 25-50% covering 11 Marzes.
The position has the following specific responsibilities:
- Lead CSO emergency response initiatives through a competitive grant process for CSOs to alleviate impacts of COVID-19 and the 2020 armed conflict, including oversight of Field Officers’ coaching and support to grantees;
- Lead on the professionalisation of civil society volunteering: (1) Develop and publish guidelines on volunteering and civic engagement for CSOs in Armenia. (2) Lead workshops for CSOs to help them improve their practices and mechanisms of volunteer engagement in each of the 10 marzes of Armenia and in Yerevan;
- Lead on the promotion of volunteering and active citizenship: (1) Develop and publish an expert-led rapid participatory study on the potential for a time-bank volunteering scheme (online and offline) for the Armenian context. (2) Coordinate an open call for proposals for a CSO led time-bank volunteering platform responding to the identified needs. (3) Organise annual Volunteer Fairs at regional and national levels to promote volunteerism and active citizenship and to facilitate volunteer matching. (4) Convene information sessions on volunteering as a tool for skills development across the country;
- Lead on leadership skills training for youth and active citizens (blended in-person and remote);
- Co-lead on civic innovation journeys: (1) Facilitate implementation of grassroots-led civic initiatives, including developing a participatory assessment of non-registered civic groups in Armenia. (2) Collaboratively design and draft capacity development training modules to respond to the specific needs of informal or semi-formal civic initiative groups in Armenia;
- Co-lead on media literacy education: (1) Develop and publish an analytical paper on media literacy with recommendations for a CSO-led campaign to counter malign content impacting civil society. (2) Coordinate a competitive grant process for civil society to enhance media literacy competencies and critical-thinking skills of local youth and other citizens.
The successful Technical Specialist for Inclusion and Empowerment must be a self-directed individual with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences (e.g., Political Science, Public Administration, Public Affairs, Civic Engagement), Media Studies, or a related discipline;
- At least 5 years of experience in the non-profit/ development or CSO sector and experience working in civil society capacity building; grassroots-led civic engagement; and/ or volunteering initiatives in Armenia;
- Understanding of the structure, constraints and functioning of CSOs, especially in Armenia;
- Experience designing training modules and facilitating training workshops/ roundtables;
- Fluency in Armenian language; working proficiency in English language.
- Master’s degree in a related field;
- Experience with digital curriculum development and blended remote/ in-person training delivery;
- Experience in EU regulations.
- Effective interpersonal and oral communication skills;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Ability to complete assignments independently and/ or collaboratively, meeting project deadlines;
- Ability to take instructions and criticism constructively;
- Problem-solving skills;
- Ability to interact with project stakeholders in a professional and pleasant manner.
Interested candidates are welcome to apply by submitting the below-mentioned documents in the English language to the Near East Foundation Careers page: https://neareast.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=186&source=aWQ9MjY%3D
a) Cover letter outlining relevant experience and availability;
b) Curriculum Vitae;
c) List of 3 references (including one from current, or most recent, employer).
NEF will accept rolling applications until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin on Monday, 10 January 2022. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please clearly mention in your application letter that you learned of this job opportunity through Career Center and mention the URL of its website - www.careercenter.am, Thanks.
OPEN TO/ ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
Candidates legally authorized to live and work in Armenia without company sponsorship
Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at: www.neareast.org
. The Near East Foundation promotes Equal Employment Opportunities for all applicants seeking employment and NEF employees.